Privacy and Cookies Policy – International Institute of Diamond Valuation Inc.
(Last revised February 29, 2016)
This policy (together with Our Terms and Conditions and Acceptable Use Policy and any other documents referred to herein or therein) sets out how We may or will use any personal data which you provide through Our Site. Please read it carefully before you proceed.
INFORMATION WE MAY COLLECT FROM YOU
We may collect and process the following data about you:
- Information that you provide by filling in forms on Our Sites. This includes information provided at the time of registering to use Our Site, subscribing to Our service, posting material or requesting further services including, for example, name, home and/or business address, email address, telephone number, demographic information such as age and/or other information that may identify you as an individual. We may also ask you for information when you enter a competition or promotion sponsored by Us, sign-up for e-mail newsletters and when you report a problem with Our Site.
- If you contact Us, We may keep a record of that correspondence.
- We may also ask you to complete surveys that We use for research purposes, although you do not have to respond to them.
- Details of (if applicable) transactions you carry out through Our Site and of the fulfilment of your orders. In this regard, on this Site in particular in connection with (i) transactions entered into by you and Us; and/or (ii) the evaluation of your eligibility for potential transactions between you and Us, all relating to the sale by you of loose diamonds or diamond jewelry (collectively the "Transactions") we may collect personally identifiable information such as your name, address, copies of your identification documentation (such as driver's license, passport, US State / Territory issued ID,) and/or additional documentation such as copies of your utility bills, for identification and verification purposes, and your bank and/or checking account details, where appropriate for the purpose of facilitating payment(s) to you pursuant to agreed Transactions. Additional details on the type of information to be collected and how it will or may be used can be found at Our Terms and Conditions.
- Details of your visits to Our Site including, but not limited to, traffic data, location data, weblogs and other communication data, whether this is required for Our own purposes or otherwise and the resources that you access.
IP ADDRESSES, COOKIES AND GIFS
We may collect information about your computer, cellphone, personal electronic device, and all other similar electronic or mobile devices, including where available your IP address, operating system and browser type, for system administration and to report aggregate information to Our advertisers. This is statistical data about Our users' browsing actions and patterns, and does not show personal details that identify you.
For the same reason, We may obtain information about your general internet usage by using a cookie file which is stored on the hard drive of your computer. Cookies are small pieces of information (e.g., cookies, web beacons, pixels, gifs tags or other similar technologies) sent by a web server to a web browser which allow the web server to recognise the web browser. This operates as a piece of data stored on your browser or device, or may identify, compile, aggregate and/or collect information through other means. They help Us to improve Our Site and to deliver a better and more personalised service. They enable Us:
- To estimate Our audience size and usage pattern.
- To store information about your preferences, and so allow Us to customise Our Site according to your individual interests.
- To speed up your searches.
- To recognise you when you return to Our Site.
You can control how your browser handles cookies received from websites. You can choose to refuse all cookies, or to be prompted before a cookie is saved to your hard drive, or to only accept cookies from certain websites that you designate. Information on deleting or controlling cookies is available at www.AboutCookies.org. By refusing to accept cookies from Us, you may not be able to use some of the features and functionality available on Our Site.
We may use "clear GIFs” (aka "Web beacons” or "pixel tags”) or similar technologies, in Our Site and/or in our communications with you to enable Us to know whether you have visited a web page or received a message. A clear GIF is typically a one-pixel, transparent image (although it can be a visible image as well), located on a web page or in an e-mail that communicates to Us whether you viewed an email that We sent you or visited a certain page on Our Site. A clear GIF may enable Us to relate your viewing or receipt of a web page or message to other information we hold about you.
Our server automatically collects data about your server’s internet address when you visit Us. This information, known as an Internet Protocol address, or IP Address, is a number that’s automatically assigned to your computer by your internet service provider whenever you’re on the internet. When you request pages from Our Site, Our servers may log your IP Address and sometimes your domain name. Our server may also record the referring page that linked you to Us (e.g., another website or a search engine); the pages you visit on Our Site; the website you visit after Our Site; the ads you see and/or click on; other information about the type of web browser, computer, cellphone, personal electronic device, and all other similar personal electronic or mobile devices, platform, related software and settings you are using; any search terms you have entered on Our Site or a referral site; and other web usage activity and data logged by Our web servers. We use this information for internal system administration, to help diagnose problems with Our server, and to administer Our Site. Such information may also be used to gather broad demographic information, such as country of origin and internet service provider. Any or all of activities with regard to our Site usage information may be performed on our behalf by our services providers.
ADVERTISING AND ONLINE TRACKING
As detailed above, We may allow third-party companies to serve ads and collect certain anonymous information when you visit the Site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, web browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to the Site and other websites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third-party clear gif/web beacon to collect this information. Our systems do not recognize browser “Do Not Track” signals, but several of Our service providers who utilize these cookies or web beacons on Our Site enable you to opt out of targeted advertising practices. To learn more about these advertising practices or to opt out of this type of advertising, you can visit www.networkadvertising.org or www.aboutads.info/choices. We also provide you with additional tools to opt out of marketing from Us. You can learn about this in the “Marketing” section of this policy.
WHERE WE STORE YOUR PERSONAL DATA
Where We have given you (or where you have chosen) a password which enables you to access certain parts of Our Site, you are responsible for keeping this password confidential. We ask you not to share a password with anyone.
While We have implemented reasonable technical and organisational precautions to protect the security and integrity of personal data provided to Our Site, due to the inherent nature of the internet as an open global communications vehicle, We cannot guarantee that information, during transmission through the internet or while stored on Our system or otherwise in Our care, will be absolutely safe from intrusion by others, such as hackers. We maintain physical, electronic and procedural safeguards to protect your Personal Data. We strive to protect information transmitted on or through the Site or Services, however, We cannot and do not guarantee the security of any information you transmit on or through the Site, and you do so at your own risk. We cannot and do not guarantee the security of your data and information.
You agree to (a) immediately notify Us of any unauthorised use of your password or account or any other breach of security, and (b) ensure that you exit from your account at the end of each session. It is your responsibility to control the dissemination and use of your password, control access to and use of your account, and notify Us when you desire to cancel your account on this Site. We are not responsible or liable for any loss or damage arising from your failure to comply with this provision.
We will not be liable for disclosure of your information due to errors or unauthorised acts of third parties during or after transmission.
If you are using a public computer (e.g. at a library), or a shared computer, We urge you to log out of your account and Our Site altogether, and quit the browser application before you leave the computer. This will help prevent others from accessing your account and any personal information.
In the unlikely event that We believe that the security of your personal information in Our possession or control may have been compromised, We may seek to notify you of that development. If a notification is appropriate, We would endeavour to do so as promptly as possible under the circumstances, and, to the extent We have your e-mail address, We may notify you by e-mail. You hereby consent to Our use of e-mail as a means of such notification.
USES MADE OF THE INFORMATION
We use information provided by you and/or held about you (including your personal information) in the following ways:
- To ensure that content from Our Site is presented in the most effective manner for you and for your computer.
- To carry out Our obligations arising from any contracts or Transactions entered or contemplated to be entered into between you and Us or to provide you with the Site and any services requested by you.
- For any specific purpose for which it was provided or volunteered.
- To develop, market, sell or provide products and services.
- To keep you apprised of information and developments that you may find of interest.
- To inform you of Our or Our business partner's products or services.
- To perform analysis and research in relation to Transactions, including without limitation, analyzing and conducting research on Our user's demographics and interests, information about your browsing and viewing preferences.
- To allow you to participate in interactive features of Our service including services provided by Our affiliated companies including companies that, directly or indirectly: control Us; or are controlled by Us; or are under common control with Us ("Affiliates"), when you choose to do so.
- To notify you about changes to Our service.
- If you review or download information, We track the visit to give Us information about which part of the site is frequented.
- To send you notices (for example, in the form of e-mails, SMS, mailings, and the like), and otherwise correspond with you, about products, services, companies and events, sponsored by us and others, that We think might interest you, where you have consented to be contacted for such purposes.
We may also retain data about your Transaction(s) (if applicable) on Our Site for a period of time that may be required by law or otherwise determined as appropriate by Us in our reasonable discretion, such as the dates you purchased and the quantity and value of the purchases (if applicable) and in connection with any applicable legal or regulatory purposes including without limitation Anti-Money Laundering (AML), OFAC, USA Patriot Act, state, federal or local tax compliance and the like.
We may use third-party partners, carefully selected by Us, to help operate Our Site and deliver Our products and services, and may share your information with Our Affiliates, service providers and other third parties that provide products or services for or through this Site or for Our business (such as website or database hosting companies, address list hosting companies, e-mail service providers, research, analytics and customer experience and survey companies, distribution companies, fulfilment companies, marketing and promotional companies (subject to the MARKETING section below), and other similar service providers that use such information on Our behalf).
We may disclose aggregate statistics regarding user behaviour as a measure of interest in, and use of, Our Site and e-mails to third parties in the form of aggregate data, such as overall patterns or demographic reports that do not describe or identify any individual user.
DISCLOSURE OF YOUR INFORMATION
Your privacy is important to Us. We may disclose your personal information to any member of Our group, which means Our subsidiaries, Our ultimate holding company and its subsidiaries (both direct and indirect).
we may also use your personal information to maintain Our internal record keeping and/or share it with Our affiliates for internal marketing or other purposes.
We may disclose your personal information to third parties:
- In the event that We sell or buy any business or assets, in which case We may disclose your personal data to the prospective seller or buyer of such business or assets.
- If International Institute of Diamond Valuation Inc. or substantially all of its assets are acquired by a third party, in which case personal data held by it about its customers will be one of the transferred assets.
- If We are under a duty to disclose or share your personal data in order to comply with any legal obligation, or in order to enforce or apply Our Terms and Conditions and other agreements; or to protect the rights, property, or safety of International Institute of Diamond Valuation Inc., Our customers, or others. This includes exchanging information with other companies and organisations for the purposes of fraud protection and credit risk reduction.
We may disclose user information to government authorities, and to other third parties when compelled to do so by government authorities or otherwise as required or permitted by law, including but not limited to in response to court orders and subpoenas. We also may disclose user information when We have reason to believe that someone is causing injury to or interference with our rights or property, other users of Our Site, or anyone else that could be harmed by such activities. Additionally, We cooperate with law enforcement inquiries and other third parties to enforce laws, intellectual property rights and other rights.
If We believe or have reason to believe that you are using or are attempting to use the Site to transact or traffic in stolen goods or any illegal goods we reserve all rights to disclose any and all information, materials and the like that you have disclosed to Us or of which we are otherwise aware to appropriate state, federal and/or local legal authorities and agencies and to otherwise communicate with appropriate legal authorities and take such other actions that we reasonably deem appropriate, consistent with applicable laws.
Subject to your consent, we may permit selected third parties to use your data, to provide you with marketing information about goods and services which may be of interest to you and they may contact you about these by post, telephone, email or other means.
You have the right to ask Us not to process your personal data for marketing purposes. We will usually inform you (before collecting your data) if We intend to use your data for such purposes or if We intend to disclose your information to any third party for such purposes. Alternatively, we may contact you seeking your consent to share your personal data with third parties not related to the activities conducted by Us or our Affiliates.
You have the right to "opt in” and "opt out” of certain uses of your personal data. For example, at the time you are requested to provide personal information on the Site, you may have the opportunity to elect to, or not to receive marketing correspondence from Us.
Please understand that if you opt out of receiving marketing and promotional correspondence from Us, We may still contact you in connection with your relationship, activities, Transactions and communications with Us. Also, a request to have Us stop sharing your personal information with other entities for marketing purposes will only apply as of the date of your request, and We will not be responsible for any communications that you may receive from entities that received your personal information prior to such request. In these cases, please contact that entity directly. You can also exercise the right at any time by contacting Us at IIDV Client Services, 50 West 47th Street, Suite 1712, New York, NY 10036, USA OR firstname.lastname@example.org
Our Site may, from time to time, contain links to and from the websites of Our partner networks, advertisers, affiliates and stockists. If you follow a link to any of these websites, please note that these websites have their own privacy policies and that We do not accept any responsibility or liability for these policies or Content contained on this Site. Please check these policies before you submit any personal data to these websites.
NOTICE TO CALIFORNIA RESIDENTS/YOUR CALIFORNIA OPT OUT RIGHTS
To opt out of sharing your personal information with third parties for their direct marketing purposes, please exercise your right to opt out of having your personal information shared as provided above in the “Marketing” section of this policy.
ACCESS TO INFORMATION
You have the right to access all the personal information we hold about you (which may include a right to correct any inaccuracies or object to certain information). If you wish to access or amend your personal data which is held by Us, please contact our Client Services Team at email@example.com OR IIDV Client Services, 50 West 47th Street, Suite 1712 , New York, NY 10036, USA. We may charge you a small fee and may require verification of your identity for providing a copy of your information as permitted by law.
PUBLIC AND INTERACTIVE AREAS OF OUR SITE